Thursday, December 11, 2014

Archetypes




 
 


The talisman I created started with a font that looked similar to Arabic. I did not have a particular design in mind so I started to create different lines with the letters L, I, and F-- my initials. The outcome of the design was very successful and it looks like a bit like Chinese. I was very content with the image I created. For the next step, I printed a larger scale of the design and a smaller one; I went to Michaels to buy a fabric marker and a T-shirt. I used the larger scaled design to trace onto the shirt and I used the smaller version to trace onto Bristol Board. The process of tracing the design on the shirt with fabric marker was very difficult and tedious so I decided to use Sharpie instead and I had a more successful outcome. The talisman conveyed friendship because I am with or talking to my friends ritualistically. The talisman was created on a shirt starting out with myself wearing the original design. Then, the shirt was handed off to four different friends over a course of five days--each friend had the shirt for one day. Each friend that had the shirt, had to alter the original design by adding their own style to it; so as the five days went by, the design had changed. It was supposed to signify how over a course of a lifetime, those who you surround yourself with have great influence on you in one way or another. Creating my talisman on Bristol Board was a very easy and straight forward process. I had no problems with keeping my negative space clean and without blemishes anywhere on the paper. I can relate this project to the "Color Spinners" project when we started the designs on paper and had to just draw lines and switch with those at our tables. For both projects there was no control over the outcome of the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment